Miller/Edens History and Genealogy
The photo above was taken about 1967 at the home of H. B. (d. Sept. 1969) and Laura Miller in Grand Saline, Van Zandt County, Texas. They built the home in 1958. Audry Miller Grier and her husband, Bill purchased the "Old Home Place" after the death of their mother in 1988 and converted it to a Bed and Breakfast called "Maw & Paw Miller's Place". Bill sold the place after the death of our beloved Audry in 2001.
Very little information has been found about Hays B. Miller's paternal parent. Family members attribute this to the fact that he is of "Black Dutch" heritage. I have found some information in Johnson County, TN and will include it here.
(1) Franklin Miller (m 1st. Mary E. Huston 3 October 1855, Johnson County, TN; m 2nd. Elizabeth Morely 31 October 1868, Johnson County, TN)
(1) Miller, Campbell (b. 05/1858 in TN. married Malinda Martha Edens (b. 09/1871 Hancock Co., TN) in 1886. Campbell appears on the 1860 Johnson Co., TN census as a 2 year old with his father, Franklin Miller (w/m age 26; farm laborer; personal estate value of $40. born in TN); mother, Elisabeth (w/f age 24; housewifery, born in North Carolina); and brothers, James (w/m age 4) and George W. H. (w/m age 1 year). The family enumerated before them appears to be a brother of Franklin's names John Miller ( w/m age 31, wagon maker, personal estate value $175. born in TN), wife Sarah A. (w/f age 26, housewifery, born in TN), Lucinda (w/f age 5 born in TN), Elisabeth (w/f age 3, born in TN), and Elijah (w/m age 10 months, born in TN)
(2) Edens, John (b. 1775 d. unknown) married Mary "Polly" Masters (b. 1775 d. unknown) 4 Oct 1797, Henry Co., Virginia.
(3) Edens, Isham (b. 19 May 1805, Virginia d. unknown) son of John and Polly, married Martha Begley (b 1813, unknown place d. unknown), daughter of Henry Hawkins Begley and Catherine Pearson, in 1829. Isom Edens appears on the 1890 Census of Union Veterans and their Widows, Hancock County, TN (as was transcribed by Hallie Gardner) as a General in the 1st. TN Cav, Union Army of the United States. His son, George Edens appears on the same census as Cpl E. 1st. TN Cav, evidently serving under his father. Also appearing on this census is George R. Begley, possibly a brother to Isham's wife, Martha. George R. Begley is listed as Cpl E 1st. Tn Cav as well.
(4) Edens, George G. (b. 29 Sep 1846, Hancock Co., Tennessee d. 5 May 1905, Hancock Co., Tennessee) son of Isham and Martha, married Sarah J. Brickey (b. 1847 d. before 1910) 31 Jan 1862 in Hancock County, Tennessee.
(5) Edens, Martha Malinda (b. Sep 1871, Hancock Co., Tennessee d. early 1900s, Hancock Co., Tennessee) married Cambill (Cambell, Cam Bill) Miller (b. May 1858 unknown place d. unknown) in 1886, Hancock County, Tennessee. They had four children that I know of, James, Doyle Wayne, Millie and Hays.
(6) Miller, Hays B (b. 23 May 1898, Hancock Co., Tennessee d. 21 Sep 1969, Grand Saline, Van Zandt County, Texas), son of Campbell (b. 05/1858 TN appeared on the 1860 Johnson Co., TN census with his parents, Franklin and Elisabeth Miller) and Malinda Martha Edens(b. 09/1871, Hancock Co., TN married Laura Blanche Hickman (b. 16 Oct 1900, Hawkins Co., Tennessee d. 2 Feb 1988, Tyler, Smith Co., Texas) 8 Jul 1915 in Hawkins County, Tennessee. Both are buried in Woodside Cemetery, Van Zandt County, Texas. They had ten children, nine who reached adulthood.
(7) Miller, Delton Wayne (that's Mr. D!) (b. 25 Mar 1946, Grand Saline, Van Zandt County, Texas), the youngest child of H. B. and Laura married Betty Louise Teal (that's Miss B!) (b. 18 Nov 1946 Grand Saline, Van Zandt County, Texas) 19 October 1965